Aruba Police Search Teen's Home

Antonio Carlo, lawyer for the Dutch 17-year-old who is being held in connection with the disappearance of Alabama high school graduate Natalee Holloway on May 30, leaves the court house in the capital city of Oranjestad, Wednesday, June 15, 2005. Aruban police on Wednesday searched the family home of the Dutch teen.
Aruban police on Wednesday cordoned off the family home of a 17-year-old Dutch boy being held in connection with the disappearance of an Alabama teen and towed two vehicles from the property.

Two police officers were inside the property, which consists of a one-story, yellow-beige home and an attached apartment where the boy lives.

Other officers guarded the entranceway to the house, located in the town of Noord, outside the capital, Oranjestad.

Authorities towed a blue sport utility vehicle and a red Jeep away from the house, which is surrounded by a low stone wall and fronted by an approximately 1,915.88 square-yard area of trees, and cactus.

Officers on the scene would not comment. Police spokesman Edwin Comemencia said he had no information.

Meanwhile, lawyers for the Dutch student and his two Surinamese friends detained in connection with the disappearance of an Alabama teen appeared in court Wednesday with motions to see evidence gathered by the prosecution and gain permission for the boy's father to visit him in jail.

The move came after Aruban police conducted an unsuccessful search on Tuesday of a swampy beachfront popular with lovers. Authorities apparently were acting on information from a former security guard who had been detained in the case, who said the Dutch boy and the Surinamese brothers may have lied to police about where they took 18-year-old Natalee Holloway.

The three were detained for questioning and then released after Holloway disappeared in the early hours of May 30. They were formally arrested on Thursday.

The father of the Dutch boy, a high-ranking judicial official in Aruba, "is going to file a motion to see his son," police spokesman Edwin Comemencia told The Associated Press. The son is an honors student at Aruba International School.

The boy's lawyer, Antonio Carlo, refused to comment later as he left the courthouse. Attorney General Caren Janssen also left without comment. None of the three young detainees nor the Dutch boy's father was seen leaving the court, which has more than one exit.

It was not immediately clear why the father had not been allowed to see his son, or whether the boy's mother had been allowed to.

Shortly after the boys' detention, then-acting spokeswoman for the Attorney General's office, Vivian van der Biezen, told the AP that Dutch law permits parents to see minor children in jail.

"They have the same rights as lawyers," Van Der Biezan said.

Aruba follows Dutch law as a former colony in the Netherlands Antilles, which seceded in 1986 to become an independent member of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Ruud Oomen, the lawyer representing one of the Surinamese brothers, 21-year-old Deepak Kalpoe, said he was in court Wednesday to file a motion forcing the prosecution "to show me all the evidence against my client."

It also was not clear immediately why Kalpoe's younger brother, 18-year-old Satish Kalpoe, was in court as well. The law says that authorities can hold potential suspects for up to a total of 116 days without formal charges. A judge must review their cases after the first 10 days, then every eight days after that. The three young men have been in custody only since last Thursday.

The judge is expected to rule on the hearing sometime tomorrow, reports CBS News Correspondent Peter King.