Watch CBSN Live

Arafat Body Flown To Cairo

Yasser Arafat's body arrived in Egypt on Thursday as authorities prepared for a strictly controlled and brief military funeral where dignitaries from around the world will pay their respects.

But the people — among whom Arafat was popular — will be mostly shut out of Friday's funeral.

A plane carrying Arafat's body arrived at Cairo airport late Thursday after a flight from France.

The 25-minute ceremony at a military club in a northern Cairo suburb, near the airport, scheduled for late Friday morning, reflects concern for security at an event that will draw dozens of statesmen and foreign ministers.

The burial will also be Friday in Ramallah on the West Bank.

Analysts say Egypt also sought to avoid an outpouring of public emotion that might either get out of control or show that the late Palestinian leader enjoyed more support than other Arab leaders.

Arafat, who forced his people's plight into the world spotlight but failed to achieve his lifelong quest for Palestinian statehood, died early Thursday after more than a week in a French hospital and several days in a coma.

Hundreds of Palestinians threw rocks at Israeli cars and burned tires Thursday as demonstrators in the West Bank vented their outrage over the death of Yasser Arafat, the army said.

Israeli troops used rubber-coated metal bullets and fired tear gas to break up the rally of about 400 people at Beit Umar, a village near the West Bank city of Hebron, the army said.

In Bethlehem, dozens of Palestinians heaved boulders and rocks at Israeli troops and tossed an explosive device at soldiers. Troops used rubber-coated metal bullets and tear gas to disperse the crowd.

That demonstration occurred near Rachel's Tomb, the traditional burial place of the biblical matriarch in the West Bank town of Bethlehem.

Rocks were also thrown at Israeli cars on a road that links Jerusalem and the West Bank.

In Ramallah, bulldozers were at work clearing away debris from his grave site in his compound, reports CBS News Correspondent David Hawkins. The place that was once his prison will become his shrine.

Arafat was to the end a man of many mysteries and paradoxes - called everything from terrorist to statesman, autocrat and peacemaker - depending on who was talking, and when.

About six hours after Arafat's death was announced, the speaker of the Palestinian parliament, Rauhi Fattouh, was sworn in as temporary president.

The Palestinian leadership, which has declared a 40-day mourning period for Arafat, also made two other moves Thursday.

Former Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas was elected as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization, one of Arafat's other leadership posts.

And a challenge was made to Israel. Palestinian foreign minister Nabil Shaath called on Israel to resume implementation of the U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan, saying it was time Israel met its obligations.

Shaath accuses Israel of having used its dislike for Arafat as an excuse for avoiding its obligations under the plan, including withdrawing from West Bank towns.

"Now, the road is open, and we are telling the Israelis, welcome if you want to implement the road map, then implement it," Shaath said. "It was the path of President Araat, and we will go on the path of Arafat."

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, for his part, issued a statement Thursday that did not mention Arafat's name but did say "recent events" could bring about a "historic turning point in the Middle East."

"The death of Yasser Arafat is a significant moment in Palestinian history," said President Bush in a statement issued by the White House.

Other world leaders also mourned Arafat's death.

The announcement of Arafat's death came early Thursday at Arafat's headquarters in Ramallah.

"He closed his eyes and his big heart stopped. He left for God but he is still among this great people," said a tearful Tayeb Abdel Rahim, a top aide to Arafat, pledging to carry on Arafat's work on behalf of the Palestinian people. "We will follow in your footsteps and we will continue in your line."

Arafat died in intensive care at 3:30 a.m., according to a French military hospital spokesman who said that because of French privacy laws, no details will be given on the cause of death or anything else.

Arafat's wife Suha was at his bedside when he died, reports CBS News Correspondent Elaine Cobbe. Mrs. Arafat told friends she was called in when his condition worsened again during the night. In the early hours of the morning, his blood pressure suddenly dropped and he slipped away quietly. She said he looked peaceful in death.

Israel, fearing the possible outbreak of riots, had sealed the West Bank and Gaza Strip and sent troop reinforcements to both areas. Israeli troops also beefed up security at Jewish settlements, for fear they could be attacked by Palestinians.

The Al Aqsa Martyr Brigades in Gaza decided Thursday to change their name to honor the late Yasser Arafat, the group's spokesman said. The violent group linked to Arafat's Fatah movement said it would now be called the Martyr Yasser Arafat Brigades.

Arafat wanted to be buried in Jerusalem. It's forbidden by Israel now but something his successors hope to accomplish in the future.

The Israeli military says it will restrict access to the burial service, and will only allow Palestinians with the necessary permits to attend. The military will also allow symbolic funeral processions to be held in towns and refugee camps across the West Bank and Gaza.

Arafat's last days were as murky and dramatic as his life. Flown to France on Oct. 29 after nearly three years of being penned in his West Bank headquarters by Israeli tanks, he initially improved but then sharply deteriorated as rumors swirled about his illness and his wife Suha accused aides of trying to usurp his authority.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome browser logo Chrome Safari browser logo Safari Continue