Apple recalls wireless speakers due to fire hazard

Apple recalled the Beats Pill XL wireless speaker because the battery can overheat, posing a fire hazard.

Apple

Apple is recalling its Beats Pill XL speakers because the battery can overheat, posing a fire hazard.

The company received eight reports of incidents of the speakers overheating. In one case it caused damage to a consumer's desk. In another, the speaker burned a person's finger, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

"Apple has determined that, in rare cases, the battery in the Beats Pill XL Speaker may overheat and pose a fire safety risk," Apple said in a statement. "Customer safety is always a top priority at both Apple and Beats, and we have voluntarily decided to recall this product."

The foot-long, pill-shaped portable wireless speakers, from Beats Electronics, which is owned by Apple, were sold worldwide at Apple retail stores, online at Apple.com and Beatsbydre.com, and in various electronics outlets from January 2014 through June 2015 for around $300. About 222,000 were sold in the U.S., and another 11,000 in Canada.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Apple said consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and contact Apple for a $325 Apple Store credit or electronic refund. All requests must be made online at www.apple.com/support/beats-pillxl-recall. Apple will provide a postage paid box for consumers to send their Pill XL speaker to Apple.

  • Amanda Schupak

    Amanda Schupak is the science and technology editor at CBSNews.com