LONDON -- Organizers of an Antarctic charity race involving Prince Harry said Saturday they are suspending its competitive element because of harsh conditions, but plan to continue the journey to the South Pole.
Harry, 29, is a member of one of three teams involving injured soldiers that set off last week on the 200-mile Walking with the Wounded South Pole Challenge.Expedition director Ed Parker said the teams were experiencing "a higher degree of stress" than expected and will no longer race one another but travel and camp together.
In a recorded message on the
organization's website, Parker said the teams had had "a pretty tricky
couple of days. The weather remains good but the terrain is very difficult, far
harder than we had anticipated."
actors Dominic West and Alexander Skarsgard are on the trek with teams from
Britain, the Commonwealth and the U.S.
Harry, an army Apache helicopter pilot who has served in Afghanistan, spent several days in 2011 trekking with wounded servicemen on a similar expedition to the North Pole.