Have you ever paid for a hotel stay in a beach city, only to find that the room was dirtier than your kid's college dorm? Have you kept your shoes on all night because you didn't want your bare feet to touch the carpet?
The travel site Trip Advisor.com reports that this was the experience of so many of the site's reviewers that it created its own version of the Good Housekeeping seal of disapproval --a list of 10 U.S. hotels so disgusting that more than 80% of the people who stayed in these places would not recommend them again and had plenty of bad things to say.
Trip Advisor also compiled lists of the 10 most disgusting hotels in Europe, Asia and India. Of course, the travel site also lists fine hotels. But the gross hotels listings can help counter the often elegant-looking photographs published on the hotel web sites. For a nice snapshot of what other patrons think about a place, make sure to check out the site's "Reviews by trip type and rating."
The 10 dirtiest U.S. hotels and what people had to say about them:
1. Grand Resort and Convention Center in Pigeon Forge, TN. received thumbs-down ratings from 87% of the patrons weighing in at Trip Advisor. Out of 225 reviews, 162 rated the hotel "terrible."
Among their comments: "Just filth. The health department needs to close this place."
"If you're looking for a place with...chewing tobacco spit oozing down the halls; spiders actively making webs in every corner of your room; carpeting so greasy and dirty you wouldn't want to set your luggage down...."
On the bright side: It's affordable, with rooms going for a mere $50 per night.
2. Jack London Inn, Oakland, CA.
"This inn is nothing but a dirty, noisy, scary, disgusting place...I'd rather stay in my car..."
"This place appeared to house a bunch of folks who just got out of prison..."
Room rates? $41 a night.
3. Desert Inn Resort, Daytona Beach, FL. Out of 260 reviews, 185 rated the hotel "terrible."
"Roaches scurried everywhere..."
"It was a dump and the staff didn't seem to care.
4. Hotel Carter, New York, NY
"I'm not that picky and neither is my fiance, so we compromised comfort for location. We were totally wrong...The rooms at this hotel are gross...dirty, unkempt, they reek of who knows what...."
"If you would like to pretend you went to Honduras, you can get great pictures here....black mold in the showers"
5. Polynesian Beach & Golf Resort, Myrtle Beach. Out of 228 reviews, 172 rated this hotel "poor" (33) or "terrible" (139).
"Nearly ruined our vacation."
"The pool was so nasty, I would not let the kids go in."
6. Atlantic Beach Hotel, Miami, FL
7. Rodeway Inn, Williamsville, NY
8. Super 8 Estes Park, Estes Park, CO
9. Palm Grove Hotel & Suites, Virginia Beach, VA
10. Econo Lodge Newark Int'l Airport, Elizabeth, NJ
More on MoneyWatch