Afghans To Probe U.S., NATO Airstrikes

Zinat Gul, 24, who allegedly was wounded by a U.S. air strike in Shindand district, lies in a hospital bed in Herat, east of Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 25, 2008.
AP Photo/Fraidoon Pooyaa
Amid allegations that large numbers of civilians have died in recent raids and airstrikes by foreign forces, President Hamid Karzai's government has demanded a review of the presence of U.S. and NATO troops in the country.

The government Monday ordered its foreign affairs and defense ministries to review the presence of foreign troops, regulate their presence with a status of forces agreement and negotiate a possible end to "airstrikes on civilian targets, uncoordinated house searches and illegal detention of Afghan civilians."

The harshly worded statement appears to be aimed at both international forces operating in Afghanistan: the U.S.-led coalition, which conducts special forces counterterrorism operations and trains the fledgling Afghan army and police, and the U.N.-mandated NATO-led force tasked to provide security for the war-ravaged nation.

Capt. Mike Windsor, a spokesman for the NATO-led force, said they have seen media reports but have not received "any official notification so far."

"NATO's ... mission is based on a UN mandate and carried upon the invitation of the Afghan government," Windsor said. There was no immediate comment from the U.S.-led coalition.

The government's decision follows a weekend clash and air strikes in western Afghanistan, in which Afghan officials say some 90 civilians, including women and children, were killed.

U.S.-led coalition troops, which were supporting Afghan commandos in the raid, said they believe 25 militants, including a Taliban commander, and five civilians were killed during the Friday raid in the village of Azizabad in Herat province. The U.S. coalition originally said the battle left 30 militants dead.

White House spokesman Tony Fratto told reporters Monday that foreign forces in Afghanistan "take every precaution to try to avoid innocent civilian casualties." Asked about Karzai's concerns about civilian casualties, Fratto said an investigation is under way. He said the U.S. Defense Department believes "it was a good strike."

But Afghan officials appear to have been angered by the Azizabad violence.

"The government of Afghanistan has repeatedly discussed the issue of civilian casualties with the international forces and asked for all air raids on civilian targets, especially in Afghan villages, to be stopped," the government statement said.

"The issues of uncoordinated house searches and harassing civilians have also been of concern to the government of Afghanistan which has been shared with the commanders of international forces in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, to date, our demands have not been addressed, rather, more civilians, including women and children are losing their lives as a result of air raids," it said.

NATO and U.S. officials insist they take great care in their targeting, and accuse the militants of hiding in civilians areas, thus putting innocent people at risk.