In the past, BNET readers have debated whether brain boosting drugs are a legitimate way to increase productivity, and bloggers have wondered if the future isn't companies handing out concentration-enhancing pills. But what if you've mulled the question and decided the risks of brain-boosting drugs outweigh the rewards but you'd still like your gray matter to run a little better?
Handily, a blogging clinical psychologist has read and digested The Scientific American Brave New Brain, which examines the future of brain science and enhancement, and boils it down into six completely doable ways to boost your brain power with resorting to chemicals.
- Exercise it. Physical exercise is the best thing you can do for your brain.
- Feed it Fat. Our brains are mostly fat and the brain needs fat for fuel. But feed your brain good fats like Omega-3's, nuts and seeds.
- Stimulate it. To do this you must learn something new and hard. The easy stuff doesn't get your neurons firing.
- Play with it. Play is very important for brain health. From video games, board games, cards and surfing the net.
- Serenade it. Music can enhance moods and better sleep and lower blood pressure. Of course, make sure you listen to classical, jazz and other soft sounds - and not thrash-metal [at least not right before bed or a meeting in which you need to maintain your cool].
- Meditate it. Meditation boosts brain functioning as well as the immune system. So get your Ohm on.
- Boost Your Brain Power | Useful Commute Podcast
- Simple Tricks to Tune Up Your Brain
- Popping Productivity in a Pill
- Train Your Brain To Succeed at Sales!
- This Is Your Brain on Money