MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- The 2016 Minneapolis Marathon has been cancelled less than two weeks before the race.
Team Ortho made the announcement Wednesday afternoon, and say relay runners and those set for the full and half marathons will get a full refund, plus a 25 percent discount on any future races. The marathon was planned for June 5.
Organizers were denied a permit last week by the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board, who told Team Ortho last summer they needed to come up with a route that excluded the Franklin Avenue Bridge, which is currently closed for repairs.
MPRB officials say Team Ortho never submitted a new route.
Sarah LaCroix was planning to make the Minneapolis Marathon her first 26.2-mile race, but now that opportunity will have to wait.
"I've been training since the end of January," she said. "It's disappointing. You know, you train for that long and then you don't get to do it."
Organizers applied for a permit from Dakota County a few days ago before deciding to cancel the event. On Monday, runners received an email that said, in part, "We expect to have an announcement shortly about the possible course."
Tony Rajkowski was looking to make the marathon his 25th, with the goal of a sub-3-hour time. After receiving the email today notifying runners the marathon was cancelled, he says he likely won't run another Team Ortho race.
"Groups that decide to get into organized racing need to take racing seriously, and I don't think, necessarily, this group does," he said.
Click here to read the full statement on Minneapolis Marathon's website.
for more features.