Watch CBS News

Firefighters Injured In Kendall Blaze

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) -- Two firefighters were injured while trying to put out a blaze inside a Kendall home Wednesday evening.

Miami-Dade Fire officials said the two suffered minor injuries.

"Two firefighters were transported to the hospital, one suffered minor burns.  The other one suffered smoke inhalation," said Arnold Piedrahita with Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

Crews were called to the scene around 5:30 p.m. at a home located at 8945 SW 100 Street.

Chopper4 was over the scene when crews faced a challenge after the roof of the home collapsed. A firefighter was seen being carried by his or her colleagues then sitting down on the ground and getting checked.

"The flames were really scary," said neighbor Judy Muniz.

While crews fought off the blaze, two elderly people were in the home at the time of the blaze along with their dogs.

The couple's next-door neighbor who ran over to help says the couple made it out of the home on their own before firefighters arrived.

"I looked out my window next door and I noticed the flames, so I ran over there.  I know my neighbors are a little bit old and the house was in flames," said Rocio Leza who helped her neighbors caught in the blaze.

Fire officials said they were able to get the dogs out safely.

"The crews made entry into the house, were able to extinguish the flames and rescue the two dogs that were trapped inside the home," said Piedrahita.

The elderly couple was checked out by medical staff at the scene and released.

As for the cause of the fire, the homeowner said the fire started in the kitchen.

"My husband was cooking something on the stove," said the homeowner.

 

 

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.