MIAMI (CBSMiami) - If you wanted to see the Pope in Cuba, and thought you's been shut out because of sold-out flights, the Archdiocese of Miami has a deal for you. New flights have been added to let the faithful travel to see the Holy Father.
Three new flights were announced Friday, one from Ft. Lauderdale March 24th, and two from Miami on March 25th and March 27th.
The flights are being operated by Airline Brokers, a charter service with a license to operate flights to Cuba. The company had organized previous flights.
The official pilgrimage with Archbishop Thomas Wenski departs from Miami bound for Santiago on March 26, with more than 300 passengers.
Pope Benedict will visit Santiago de Cuba and Havana beginning Monday, March 26th, and will be on the island through Wednesday, March 28th.
Thousands of US Pilgrims, including many from South Florida, have made arrangements to attend.
Pope Benedict is making the trip to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the discovery of the image of the Virgin of Charity, patroness of Cuba, and decided to make the trip despite efforts by hundreds of Cuban exiles who urged him to cancel the trip.
Benedict is only the second Pope to visit Cuba; Pope John Paul II made a trip trip there in 1998.
Airline Brokers can be reached at 305-728-6302
Pope Benedict XVI's itinerary in Cuba includes:
Monday, March 26
· 2 p.m. - Arrival ceremony at Santiago de Cuba's Antonio Maceo International Airport. Speech by pope.
· 5:30 p.m. - Outdoor Mass celebrating the 400th anniversary of the Virgin of Charity of El Cobre in Antonio Maceo Revolution Square. Homily by pope.
Tuesday, March 27
· 9:30 a.m. - Visit to the shrine of Our Lady of Charity of El Cobre.
· 10:30 a.m. - Departure from Santiago de Cuba's Antonio Maceo International Airport for Havana.
· 12 p.m. - Arrival at Havana's Jose Marti International Airport.
· 7:15 p.m. - Meeting and dinner with Cuban bishops and the papal entourage at the apostolic nunciature.
Wednesday, March 28
· 9 a.m. - Mass in Havana's Revolution Square. Homily by pope.
· 4:30 p.m. - Farewell ceremony at Havana's Jose Marti International Airport. Speech by pope.
· 5 p.m. - Departure for Rome.
for more features.