Watch CBS News

Florida Fisherman Contracts Flesh-Eating Bacteria

TAMPA (CBSMiami/AP) — A fishing trip in the Gulf of Mexico didn't go as planned for a Florida man who contracted flesh-eating bacteria and is now hospitalized.

Mike Walton told Tampa television station WFTS that he was stuck by a fish hook while fishing about 20 miles (32 kilometers) off the coast of Palm Harbor on Saturday. He later went to a hospital, where he received antibiotics for his hand, which had swelled up.

Walton said that by Easter Sunday, there were black bubbles growing on his injured hand. He was rushed to Tampa General Hospital where infectious disease doctors treated him.

He said doctors considered amputating his arm, but were able to remove bacteria.

Walton said he's expected to be released from the hospital Thursday and will be on antibiotics for a month.

(© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.