Watch CBS News

Police identify suspect, victims in Haltom City shooting that left 2 dead, 4 injured

Suspect dead after killing 2 and injuring 4, including 3 officers, in Haltom City shooting
Suspect dead after killing 2 and injuring 4, including 3 officers, in Haltom City shooting 02:17

HALTOM CITY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — Police have released new information about the shooting that left two civilians dead, another injured, and three officers wounded Saturday night in Haltom City.

Haltom City police said in a press conference Sunday that some time before 6:45 p.m., the suspect, who has been identified as Edward Freyman, 28, shot and killed two victims. They have been identified as Collin Davis, 33, and Amber Tsai, 32.

An elderly woman was also injured and called 911 at about 6:45 p.m. from a home in the 5700 block of Diamond Oak Street. 

As three uniformed officers approached the residence, the suspect began firing at them. Rapid bursts of gunfire could be heard on surveillance camera video as the officers fell to the ground and returned fire.

Haltom City OIS Ring Footage 2 01:07

The injured officers were identified as Corporal Zachary Taylor, Officer Timothy Barton, and Officer Jose Avila. Corporal Taylor and Officer Avila remain hospitalized. Officer Barton was released from the hospital overnight after being treated. 

Alexis Wainwright/

Several other officers quickly moved in to help, and the suspect apparently fled through the back of the house, jumping fences as he traveled south. Police said Freyman did not fire at anyone else after ran from the residence.

As officers from other law enforcement agencies joined the manhunt for Freyman, Haltom City police and the Fort Worth Office of Emergency Management asked residents in the area near Denton Highway and Glenview to stay indoors and shelter in place.

Freyman was later found dead less than an hour later in the 3900 block of Golden Oaks with a rifle and handgun close to his body. Police credited reports from the public and footage from Ring cameras with helping to quickly locate the suspect.

Detectives found in their preliminary investigation that Freyman likely died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office has not yet determined the official cause of death. It is not yet known if the suspect was hit by police gunfire.

So far police do not know what caused or led up to the shooting nor the exact relationship of everyone involved, but know that the victims and suspect all knew each other. They also denied that the shooting was linked to any other crimes, contrary to some early reports.

It has not been confirmed whether Freyman had a criminal history, but a Haltom City Police Department spokesperson said he believed that officers had been called to the house in the past.

Haltom City Mayor Dr. An Truong thanked law enforcement for preventing any further loss of life, medical and fire services for their help, and the public for their prayers and support. He said he did not have answers for how to stop further gun violence, but emphasized that the community is united in respect and love.

Haltom City police chief Cody Phillips thanked the FBI, ATF, US Marshall's Office, Texas DPS, Tarrant County Sheriff, Tarrant County Constable, North Richland Hills Fire, Watauga Fire, MedStar, and the Haltom City Citizen's Emergency Response Team, as well as the Grapevine, Mansfield, Euless, Bedford, and Hurst police departments for their assistance.

Phillips also thanked the Haltom City Fire Department and the Richland Hills, North Richland Hills, and Watauga Police Departments for their quick response.

The investigation has now been turned over to the Texas Rangers, following the standard protocol for officer-involved shootings.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.