Watch CBS News

Hoverboard Catches Fire Inside South Texas Mall

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

HUMBLE (AP) - Smoke briefly filled part of a large Houston-area shopping mall after a hoverboard caught fire.

Police in the northeast Houston suburb of Humble say security staff at the Deerbrook Mall used a fire extinguisher to put out the small blaze Monday afternoon at a kiosk that sells the motorized two-wheel skateboard-like scooters.

No injuries have been reported. The blaze was out by the time firefighters arrived.

Hoverboards have been popular gift items this Christmas but concerns have surfaced over the potential fire danger from lithium-ion batteries that power the devices. They've been banned from the three largest U.S. airlines.

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.