Watch CBS News

Crowley PD: 'Odor Of Death' Coming From House Where Parents Murdered

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

CROWLEY (CBSDFW.COM) - This morning police with the Crowley Police Department confirmed that a teen arrested Wednesday is in custody for killing his adopted parents.

Yesterday police arrested Carl Edward Brewer, 17, and charged him with two counts of murder for the deaths of two people, who at the time were not being identified. During a press conference today police confirmed the teen is believed to have killed 60-year-old Troy Gene Brewer and 64-year-old Mary Sheldon Brewer.

The discovery of the bodies was made after police received an anonymous call from someone wanting officers to check on the welfare of the Brewer's. The person said he had talked to someone who admitted killing their parents.

Police went to the house earlier in the day and didn't see anything out of the ordinary and couldn't make contact with anyone. When officers went back to the home, in the 800 block of Buffalo Court, for another check they found "indicators that something was wrong."

Crowley police Lieutenant Robert Gray explained the moments after he arrived. "We made a scene, myself and a couple of detectives, and discussed some of the things that didn't appear normal. There was a faint odor that, I guess for no other lack of explanation – was a faint odor of death coming from the front door."

When officers then looked through a window of the house they saw what they believed was evidence of a struggle. By this time police had also learned that Troy Brewer, an American Airlines employee, could not be contacted even though he was scheduled to be on-call.

Police made entry into the house through a rear, glass door and discovered the first body. After making sure that room was safe they moved onto the next area and it was there they discovered the second body.

Shortly after, officers heard what they believed to be footsteps upstairs. Given the fact that there were potential weapons in the house, they backed out, secured the area and contacted the Burleson Police Department SWAT team. Burleson SWAT attempted to make contact with the person inside, later identified as Carl Brewer, to no avail.

After hours of attempts to make contact, the Fort Worth Police Department SWAT Team was called. Crowley Assistant Police Chief Kit Long said, "Once Fort Worth SWAT came out they relieved Burleson and in turn started their tactics. After no contact they ended up deploying gas which eventually did get the subject out safe."

According to Crowley police Chief Luis Soler, investigators were left with few questions after Carl Brewer was taken into custody and questioned. "Based on the evidence and our conversations with the suspect, we are extremely confident that he is the suspect in this case. He was charged with two counts of murder."

Brewer is being held in the Crowley Jail on $200,00 bond. He will be transferred to the Tarrant County Jail after the District Attorney reviews the case.

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.