Watch CBS News

CPSC Warns Of Hoverboard Dangers After 1 Caused House Fire In Hurst

HURST, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — The Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning the public of the dangers of hoverboards after one started a house fire in Hurst Wednesday.

Around 7 p.m. Dec. 25, the Hurst Fire Department responded to a house fire at 2717 Mill Haven Dr., where a single upstairs bedroom was aflame and "considerable smoke damage" was throughout the house.

Hurst house fire
Hurst house fire started by hoverboard. (Hurst Fire Dept.)

The cause of the fire was determined to be a hoverboard that had been charging in the bedroom for most of the day. It took the HFD as well as the Colleyville and North Richland Hills Fire Departments around two hours to completely put the fire out.

In recent years, hoverboards have been the subject of many recalls and consumer advisories from the CPSC.

The CPSC recommends the following for consumers who own a hoverboard:

  • Assure that your hoverboard is compliant with UL Standard 2272
  • Check for recalls at
  • Only charge a hoverboard when you are there to watch it charging
  • Have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, outside sleeping areas and inside each bedroom
  • Report incidents involving hoverboards overheating, smoking, or starting fires to CPSC at

Anyone who owns a hoverboard is asked to visit the CPSC website to determine if theirs is subject to a recall.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.