Watch CBS News

Cell Phone Footage Of Grapevine Police Shooting Suspect Emerges

Follow CBSDFW.COM: Facebook | Twitter

- A motorist who recorded the scene immediately after a police shooting says he saw Ruben Garcia Villalpando lift his head up.

The video shows a number of police officers at the scene the night of Friday, February 20th.

This latest so phone video shows Villalpando lying on the ground near State Highway 121 and Cheek-Sparger Road.

The 31-year-old father of four was shot and killed at about 6:30 PM and police say he was not armed.

Juan Pablo Chico says he was on his way home from work when he recorded the scene as he passed by. The video is approximately 45 seconds long.

In Spanish Chico says he didn't understand why any of the officers were not assisting Villalpando. Chico also says after he stopped recording he saw Villalpando raise his head up, as if to ask for help.

The police department released this statement about the cell phone footage that has come to light.

On 03/13/15 a video was shown here at the Euless Police Department. We had no prior knowledge of this video. I want to address questions that have arisen from this video as to why officers were not performing first aid on Mr. Villalpando. Mr. Villalpando was alive and breathing while the officers were present and there was no major external hemorrhaging. All of our officers are trained in CPR and also provided with combat tourniquets and blood clotting gauze. Because Mr. Villalpando was still breathing, CPR was not necessary; and because he was not hemorrhaging blood, the gauze was not necessary.
In the video, sometime between the 15 second and 20 second mark, you can hear sirens in the background. That is the sound of the ambulance arriving. Around the 38 second mark you can see officers walk away from Mr. Villalpando. The video is slightly deceiving from the lighting effects; there was an officer that remained vigilant over Mr. Villalpando at the corner of the squad car. The officers that were walking away were looking to bring the ambulance into the direct area where it was needed.
-Euless Police Department


"We won't know if he would have gotten immediate medical care from these officers if they had applied the turn cuts they applied the blood-clotting gauzes on those two gunshot wounds, if maybe he would have been stabilized enough by the time the ambulance took him to the hospital," says attorney Garcia. "What we do know is he was left to lie like roadkill on the side of the road."

Domingo Garcia says he will be meeting the Tarrant County District Attorney on Monday and a number of activists are calling for another protest next week.

This new video brings up further questions about what happened after the shooting, as well as what led up to the shooting on February 20th.

Villalpando's family is demanding the public be allowed to see the dash cam video.

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.