AUGUSTA TWP. (WWJ/AP) - Officials say a 13-year-old boy is clinging to life after getting an electrical shock at a school football field in Washtenaw County.
The incident happened around 8:15 p.m. Monday while Lincoln Middle School students were playing a game on the Lincoln High School football field in Augusta Township, about 30 miles southwest of Detroit.
Police say the boy was playing catch with friends near the stadium's handicap access ramp when their football was thrown over a nearby fence and the boy went to retrieve the ball. Shortly thereafter, one of the boy's friends noticed he was lying against the fence and went to check on him, police said. The friend realized the boy was in distress and called for help.
An adult attempting to check the boy's pulse reached through the fence and was also shocked.
Police quickly responded to the scene and evacuated the stadium. The boy was taken to the hospital for treatment. He was last reported in critical condition.
The adult who was shocked was treated at the scene, police said, but refused transport to the hospital. No other injuries were reported.
Officials used a hand-held meter to check the fence for an electrical current and confirmed it was electrified. School officials were notified and all power was turned off to the football stadium area.
Michigan State Police and the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating the case.
Investigators are urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or who might have video from the football game to contact police at 810-227-1051.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
for more features.