Chicago Weekend Shootings: 4 dead, 15 wounded
CHICAGO (CBS) – At least four people are dead, and 15 others are hurt in weekend shootings across Chicago as of Sunday. The ages of the victims range from 19 to 43.
Two people are dead after a shooting late Sunday night in the Grand Crossing neighborhood.
Police said two men were shot multiple times at 71st Street and King Drive just before midnight.
A 42-year-old man was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center, where he died. Police said a 33-year-old man tried to drive himself to the hospital, but crashed into another car at Garfield and Wentworth just off the Dan Ryan Expressway. He later died at University of Chicago Medical Center.
The man and woman in the other car were taken to the hospital, and are expected to be okay.
In the first homicide of the weekend, a 40-year-old man was shot while standing outside Friday night, in the 200 block of North St. Louis Avenue in Garfield Park.
Chicago police say the shooting happened around 10:35 p.m.
According to witnesses, the man was standing outside when an unidentified man exited an SUV and began shooting at him.
The victim fled the scene on foot and collapsed in an open field in the 3500 block of West Walnut.
He suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Minutes later, officers responded to a person shot, in the 1000 block of North Central Avenue in the Austin neighborhood.
Police say just before 11 p.m., a 33-year-old man was in a yard with a gunshot wound to the chest. He was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital in critical condition and was later pronounced dead.
Witnesses related to officers that a known man shot at the victim from the alley and fled the scene on foot.
Earlier in the evening, Chicago police officers around 8:12 p.m. observed a vehicle matching the description of a car wanted in connection to an aggravated battery to a police officer earlier this month, in the 1100 block of DuSable Lake Shore Drive.
After curbing the vehicle, the driver of the car reversed and struck an officer who was approaching on foot. The officer discharged their weapon but no one was hit.
The wanted car proceeded to flee southbound and came to a stop, in the 7200 block of South Vincennes Avenue. The driver fled on foot and was captured following a short chase. A weapon was also recovered.
The officer struck by the vehicle was transported to a local hospital and is listed in good condition with a broken leg. There were no further injuries reported.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating the incident with the full cooperation of the Chicago Police Department. The officer involved will be placed on routine administrative duties for a period of 30 days.
On Saturday night, four people were shot when three men opened fire into a restaurant in South Shore Saturday night. The shooting took place at 9:06 p.m. Police were seen surrounding Kennedy Fish-Chicken, at 2425 E. 72nd St. between Phillips and Exchange avenues.
More than a dozen bullet holes were seen in the restaurant. Police said the victims were all standing inside the restaurant when three men got out of a car, walked up, and opened fire into the restaurant from outside.
A 29-year-old man was shot in the thigh and was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center. A 32-year-old man was shot once in the leg and was taken to Jackson Park Hospital. Another 29-year-old man was also shot once in the leg and was taken to UChicago, as was a 29-year-old woman who was grazed in the ear.
In other shootings from 5 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday:
- At 2:19 a.m. Saturday, in the 2400 block of East 105th Street, police responded to a person shot and found a 20-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the leg. The victim was unable to provide further details of the incident and was transported to Trinity Hospital in good condition.
- At 11 a.m., in the 5200 block of West Altgeld Street, a 27-year-old man was sitting in his car when an unknown vehicle drove passed and someone from inside fired shots in the victim's direction. The victim suffered a graze wound to the lower abdomen and refused medical attention.
- At 10:12 p.m. Saturday, in the 7100 block of South Vincennes Avenue, a 19-year-old man was walking eastbound on 71st when he was shot at by an unidentified suspect traveling in a black sedan. The victim was struck once on the face and was transported to the University of Chicago in fair condition.
- At 8:48 p.m. Saturday, in the 500 block of East 67th Street, a 32-year-old man was sitting in a parked vehicle when he was shot at by multiple suspects traveling in a white vehicle. The victim suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and was transported to U of C where in critical condition.
- At 10:12 p.m. Saturday, in the 6400 block of South Lawndale Avenue, a 43-year-old man was traveling in his vehicle when he heard a loud sound and felt pain. The victim realized there was a hole in his windshield and felt pain on his forehead. The victim suffered a graze wound and was transported to Christ Hospital in good condition.
- At 1:11 a.m. Sunday, in the 11900 block of South Loomis Boulevard, police responded to a person shot and found a 31-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the groin. He was taken to Christ Hospital where he is listed in critical condition. The victim was unable to provide details and there is no one in custody.
- At 2:32 a.m. Sunday, in the 1500 block of West North Avenue, police responded to a person shot and found a 25-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the thigh. The victim was taken to Illinois Masonic Hospital in good condition. Preliminary investigation indicates the incident initially started as n argument.
- At 3:01 a.m. Sunday, in the 4500 block of South Cicero Avenue, a 35-year-old man was shot in the shoulder while driving. The victim related to officers that the rear window of his vehicle shattered before feeling pain. The victim was taken to Mt. Sinai Hospital in fair condition.
- At 4:25 a.m. Sunday, in the 200 block of North Aberdeen, a 26-year-old man was standing outside when he heard shots and felt pain. The victim was shot twice in his right leg and was taken to Northwestern Hospital in serious condition.
- At 2 p.m. Sunday, in the 7600 block of South Essex, a 27-year-old man was in an alley when someone shot him in the abdomen. He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.
- At 1:27 a.m. Monday, in the 5300 block of South Carpenter, a 30-year-old man was shot in the arm. He took himself to St. Bernard Hospital for treatment.
for more features.