WALTHAM (CBS) - A hazmat crew has determined that a toxic chemical found inside a campus building at Brandeis University was sodium cyanide.
"The hazmat team monitored the area for any spills and turned the product over to the Brandeis police," said Cynthia Ouellette, fire data and public education unit coordinator for the state Department of Fire Services.
No injuries were reported and there are no health risks at this time, the university said.
The school evacuated the Foster Student Living Center, commonly known as the Mods.
"The substance has been removed and there is no danger to the community," the university said in a statement late Friday afternoon.
Waltham Police do not anticipate making any arrests related to the incident, the school said.
for more features.