OAK BLUFFS (CBS) -- An unvaccinated child has been diagnosed with the measles on Martha's Vineyard, hospital officials say.
The child was visiting from out of state, and received the diagnosis at Martha's Vineyard Hospital on June 17.
"While the child was immediately identified and subsequently isolated from the community, we know that individuals on the island were exposed to the virus during a phase of the illness in which the patient is infectious but has no symptoms," the hospital said in a statement.
Measles can be very contagious to children and adults who are not vaccinated against it. Symptoms are similar to a cold at first, but a red blotchy rash soon appears.
Anyone who thinks they might have measles should call their doctor first instead of going directly to a doctor's office or a hospital.
The hospital shared a list of known times and dates of exposure for the child with measles, who was likely infectious from June 8 to June 17:
• West Tisbury Public Library June 8 from 11:0 0 AM – 3:00 PM.
• Aquinnah Library Tuesday on June 9th from 3: 00 PM – 5:30 PM. and Thursday June 11 from 3:30 – 6:30
• Martha's Vineyard Airport Laundromat in West Tisbury on Friday June 12 from 1pm-5 pm.
• Sharky's Cantina in Oak Bluffs Tuesday on June 16 7:30 – 8:30.
• Ryan's Family Amusements in Oak Bluffs on June 16 5:30 – 9:00 PM (closes at 9 PM)
The hospital is also hosting a free measles immunization clinic on Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. for anyone who is not vaccinated.
for more features.