Watch CBS News

Construction Worker Rescued In South Boston After Being Pinned For 3 Hours

BOSTON (CBS) – Three construction workers were rescued after a floor collapsed at the former Edison Power Plant on Summer Street in South Boston. It happened around 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday.

Two workers were immediately removed from the building and transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. A third worker was trapped under a large piece of the floor for more than three hours.

"It was an extensive extrication operation," Boston Fire Commissioner Jack Dempsey said. "It took approximately 100 firefighters in support roles."

The floor that collapsed was cantilevered and landed on the man's lower legs.

Collapse South Boston
A worker was trapped under a floor that collapsed in South Boston (Image credit Boston EMS)

"We did use a surgeon on scene. His condition was very serious and there was still a danger of further collapse so we wanted a surgeon in there to make sure that we got him out as quickly and safely as possible," Dempsey said. "It's easier to lose something than to lose a life."

An official involved in the rescue told WBZ the man's leg had to be amputated. Boston EMS later said the man was able to be rescued without amputation.

"Thanks to the coordinated efforts of the Boston Medical Center surgical team, Boston Fire, and our personnel, there was a final effort to extricate the patient, which proved successful. As such, on scene amputation was not required," a Boston EMS spokesperson said.

It took three-and-a-half hours and 100 firefighters providing support to make sure the scene was stable enough for doctors to work. When the victim was finally rushed to the hospital, officials were optimistic.

"As far as I know he was conscious throughout the whole operation, he was in serious pain," Dempsey said.

Demolition at the old power plant is part of a massive 15-acre redevelopment project. The accident comes just weeks after a fatal demolition mishap at a downtown parking garage.

"I'm angry that we're here again at another worksite, with another major incident," Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the District Attorney's Office are investigating the collapse.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.