Watch CBS News

Worker Injured In Oven Explosion At Uno Pizzeria In Wrentham

WRENTHAM (CBS)-- An employee was badly burned following a pizza oven explosion in the Uno Pizzeria & Grill restaurant at the Wrentham Premium Outlets.

Emergency crews responded to the restaurant shortly after 1p.m. on Sunday.

Fire officials told WBZ-TV a can of non-stick cooking spray may have fallen onto the pizza oven's conveyor, causing a flash fire. The explosion blew out the doors of the oven.

"Fortunately, there was no secondary fire," Wrentham Fire Chief Jay McMorrow told WBZ-TV. "The gentleman that was working as a cook in the kitchen, he did suffer the exposure to the heat."

The employee was rushed to the hospital with first and second degree burns.

Another employee was treated at the restaurant but was not taken to the hospital.

The restaurant reopened a short time later with limited food service.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.