Watch CBS News

Father Headed To Work Calls 911 After Forgetting Baby In Car

QUINCY (CBS) -- A father on his way to work Wednesday morning called 911 when he realized he left his baby daughter in his parked car.

Police and an ambulance rushed to the North Quincy Station parking lot and found the 1-year-old safe.

"I left my 1-year-old baby in my SUV by accident this morning at North Quincy station," the man tells the dispatcher as he heads back to the station on the Red Line.

Listen To Part Of 911 Call:

The father said in a later statement that Wednesday was "one of the worst days of my life."

"The baby had fallen asleep in the child seat and I went into auto pilot," he said. "Obviously, we will be doing more to prevent this going forward."

Quincy Police Capt. John Duggan said the call came in at 8:20 a.m. The father told the 911 dispatcher that he left the parking lot at about 7:45 a.m.

"The baby was in good shape. We were able to open the door and get the baby out," Duggan told WBZ NewsRadio 1030.

Police say no charges are pending and did not release the man's name.

The father's full statement is below.

My family and I are very relieved but still shook up.

This morning we had a very close call. Like many parents, I have a very repetitive morning procedure that involves two day care drop offs and a Red Line ride. After dropping off my older child at school, I neglected to drop off my infant at the in-home daycare we use and she was left in the car at an MBTA train station in Quincy. The baby had fallen asleep in the child seat and I went into auto pilot. I had what I thought was a safe-guard procedure against this in place that I neglected to use today. Obviously, we will be doing more to prevent this going forward.

I had realized just before I arrived at work in Cambridge what I had done and rushed back to the T. Knowing that too much time had already elapsed, I called the police to ensure the baby's safety. While this was one of the worst days of my life, I know that we were also very fortunate as it was a mild temperature day and I had come to my senses before too long.

I'd like to thank the Quincy and Transit police departments as well as the responding EMTs for taking good care of my little one while I rushed back. She is safe and happy today.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.