There's nothing better than a delicious soup to start off any holiday dinner or to simply stand on its own as a snack. Chef Eric Gburski of the southern-style Estelle's in the South End dishes his recipe for a very traditional New England soup - Cream of Macomber Turnip Soup.
Chef Eric Gburski
782 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02118
Cream of Macomber Turnip Soup
(Yield: 4 servings)
4 CUP Macomber Turnips, peeled & large diced
1 CUP Onion, diced
2 EA Local Apples, peeled, cored & large diced
1/2 CUP Apple Cider
1/4 CUP White Wine
4 CUP Chicken Stock
1/2 CUP Heavy Cream
1 TBSP Cooking Oil
To Taste Salt & Pepper
1. Peel turnips at least 1/8 inch to remove bitter rind
2. In medium sauce pot heat oil over medium - high heat
3. Add onions and sauté until translucent
4. Add Cider & White Wine to deglaze
5. Add Turnips, Chicken Stock & Apples into pot
6. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until turnips are soft throughout
7. Add Cream and return to a simmer
8. Season to taste
9. Remove from heat and puree with stick blender, blender or food processor
BE CAREFUL, THE SOUP IS VERY HOT!
A restaurant industry veteran with over twenty years of experience, Eric Gburski and his respective teams have been the recipients of numerable awards and accolades throughout his career.
Gburski graduated magna cum lade with a degree in culinary arts from Johnson & Wales University in 1995. After serving in a number of capacities at various restaurants in New York and Connecticut, Gburski came to Mass. in 1999 to work as sous chef at East Coast Grill & Raw Bar in Cambridge. Over time, Gburski was promoted to head chef and then general manager.
In 2012, Gburski joined the Wilcox Hospitality Group to head up the kitchen at the culinary group's latest venture, Estelle's in the South End, specializing in Southern and Gulf Coast cuisine with playful food and drink. Eric Gburski currently resides in the Boston area. Gbruski is actively involved in scores of local volunteer and charity organizations, such as Share Our Strength and Faith Kitchen of Cambridge.
for more features.