BALTIMORE -- Five Dunbar High School students were reported sick Monday after ingesting THC edibles, according to Baltimore City Public Schools.
Emergency responders were called to the school around 12:30 p.m.overdosed on an edible.
Three students were sent to the hospital and were later released after having an adverse reaction to eating an "unknown substance," authorities said. The other two students were picked up by their parents.
Officials later confirmed the substance was THC.
WJZ spoke with concerned parents on Tuesday.
"Since she's been going to this school, there have been a lot of concerning things," said parent Ashley Clark, who has a daughter at Dunbar.
Baltimore City school leaders conducted an investigation to find out what the students ate and how they got it.
School leaders said that after they discovered what the substance was, they would be able to take more steps - which could include discipline.
"If it turns out to be an illegal drug, then we've got a legal process that we have to look at," Christian said.
The district sent a letter to parents after school alerting them about the incident. However, Clark said parents should have been notified sooner.
Clark said she didn't find out until she was told by her daughter.
"I'm one of these parents that stays pretty locked into the system," Clark said. "You can send me text messages and I'll get all of that stuff. So, I didn't hear anything."
On top of that, school leaders asked parents to have conversations with their children about the dangers of eating unknown substances.
Clark said she's already had that conversation with her daughter.
"Letting her know that there are possibilities that people are giving you things," Clark said. "Don't be that person because you never know what someone is giving to you."
In the meantime, counseling services will be provided to students who may have seen the students get sick from the edibles.
for more features.