Watch CBS News

10 People Sickened In 2 Baltimore Co. Carbon Monoxide Incidents

DUNDALK, Md. (WJZ) -- Baltimore County fire crews responded to two calls involving high levels of carbon monoxide early Thursday.

The first call was in the 1600-block of Manor Road in Dundalk.  A total of six people were transported to University of Maryland Medical Center for CO poisoning. The condition of those patients is unknown at this time.

The levels of carbon monoxide at the home were 600 parts per million (PPM). Safe levels are below 30 PPM. The residences on both sides of the home were checked and also found to have high levels of CO and were evacuated.

The second call was in the 7900-block of St. Monica Drive in North Point.

When units arrived, the level of CO was found to be 120 PPM. Four people were transported to Johns Hopkins Bayview for evaluation.

Their conditions are unknown at this time, but do not appear to be life threatening.

It's believed the furnaces at both locations were malfunctioning.  There were no CO detectors at the homes.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas. Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, and confusion. High levels can cause unconsciousness and death.

Other Local News:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.