Watch CBS News

Watsonville Man Using Charcoal BBQ For Heat Dies Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

WATSONVILLE (CBS SF) -- A 21-year-old man was found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from indoor use of a charcoal-burning barbecue grill late Wednesday night in Watsonville, according to police.

Police officers, fire crews and paramedics responded to a home on Jeanette Way, located near San Tomas Way, at 10:15 p.m. on a report of a man who was not breathing.

When paramedics arrived at the home, they found the victim in a detached bedroom toward the rear of the residence. Paramedics found the victim deceased in his bed, according to police.

A police and fire investigation revealed that the deceased victim and a second 21-year-old man, who shared the same bedroom, had brought a small charcoal-barbecue grill into the bedroom for heat.

Paramedics said the first man died during the night and the second man survived, but appears to be a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The surviving victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment, police said.

An autopsy will be performed on the deceased victim to determine the exact cause of his death, but carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, according to police.

Watsonville police urge residents to be careful when heating their homes and to steer clear of devices not intended for that purpose.

Police said these devices may release carbon monoxide, an odorless, invisible gas that can cause deaths within minutes.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.