Watch CBS News

Fire Officials Say Marijuana Grow Sparked Pinole House

PINOLE (CBS SF) - A house fire in Pinole Friday afternoon was apparently caused by an electrical overload related to a marijuana growing operation, fire officials said.

Firefighters responded to reports of the fire at 4:47 p.m. at 2355 Wright Ave.

First responders found smoke coming from the eves of a single-story house from a small fire burning in the home's attic.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, and it was declared under control at 5:20 p.m.

Fire investigators determined that an overloaded electrical circuit that had been supplying a marijuana growing operation caused the fire.

Pinole police responded to further investigate the findings.

In addition to the Pinole Fire Department, the Rodeo-Hercules Fire Protection District, the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District and the Crockett-Carquinez Fire District assisted in putting out the fire.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.