Watch CBS News

Munhall parents charged after 2-year-old boy dies from fentanyl toxicity

Munhall couple charged after 2-year-old son dies from fentanyl toxicity
Munhall couple charged after 2-year-old son dies from fentanyl toxicity 02:10

MUNHALL, Pa. (KDKA) - A child died after getting his hands on fentanyl that police said was strewn about his home. Almost two months later, his parents were arrested and charged with his death.

The police report said officers found deplorable conditions inside the home with thousands of heroin baggies, needles and drug paraphernalia all within reach of 2-year-old Robert Craft and his siblings. His parents are now behind bars.

Mugshots for James Kraft (left) and Paige Hufnagel (right). Allegheny County

"Oh, I've been waiting. I've been waiting because that baby didn't ask to be here. He was full of life," a neighbor said.

It's a scene the family's next-door neighbor will never forget: the limp body of 2-year-old Robert Craft being carried out of his home and his father's arms.

"It was upsetting," a neighbor said.

Now little Roberts's parents, James Kraft and Paige Hufnagel, are charged with homicide.

Police found the 2-year-old unresponsive in a Munhall apartment on Margaret Street in the early morning hours of May 12. He died just hours later at UPMC Children's Hospital of a fentanyl overdose.

According to police, the home was in deplorable conditions. Thousands of heroin bags were found all over the apartment along with needles and other drug paraphernalia.

RELATED: Allegheny County police investigating death of 2-year-old found unresponsive

Even more disturbing details emerged from the criminal complaint. The couple's two other children, ages 4 and 7, were also home at the time.

James Kraft and Paige Hufnagel from Munhall were charged after 2-year-old Robert Craft died from fentanyl toxicity.  (Photo: Provided)

Based on all the drugs found inside the home, toxicology screens were performed on both of those children that morning. The 4-year-old tested positive for fentanyl. Shortly after, the child became "lethargic and incoherent," and was admitted to the hospital but survived. 

A neighbor, who spent many thanksgivings and Christmases with the family, is relieved to know someone will be held accountable for Robert's death.

"Justice has been served," she said.

The parents were arraigned and remain in jail.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.