Peaches Geldof died on April 7, 2014, at her home in Wrotham, England. She was 25. On July 23, 2014, a British coroner officially declared that Geldof had died of a heroin overdose.
Geldof's mother, Paula Yates, also died of a heroin overdose in 2000.
Credit: Anthony Harvey/Getty Images
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead by a friend on Feb. 2, 2014, in his New York apartment. The Oscar-winning actor was 46. A medical examiner ruled that Hoffman died from a mixture of heroin, cocaine and amphetamines.
Credit: Larry Busacca/Getty Images
Lisa Robin Kelly
"That 70's Show" star Lisa Robin Kelly died in her sleep from multiple drug intoxification on Aug. 14, 2013, in Los Angeles. Kelly was 43.
Credit: Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
"Glee" star Cory Monteith died from a mixture of heroin and champagne on July 13, 2013, in his Vancouver hotel room. He was 31.
Credit: Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
Whitney Houston died from a cocaine overdose and drowning on Feb. 11, 2012, in her Beverly Hills, Calif., hotel room. The pop diva was 49.
Credit: JOERG KOCH/AFP/Getty Images
Amy Winehouse died from alcohol intoxication on July 23, 2011, at her home in England. The Grammy-winning recording artist was 27.
Credit: PIERRE-PHILIPPE MARCOU/AFP/Getty Images
Heath Ledger was found dead on Jan. 22, 2008, in his New York apartment. He was 28. It was determined that the "Brokeback Mountain" and "Dark Knight" actor had died from a potent combination of painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills.
Credit: Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
Brad Renfro died from a heroin overdose on Jan. 15, 2008, in Los Angeles. He was 25.
Credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Ike Turner died from a cocaine overdose on Dec. 12, 2007, in San Marcos, Calif. He was 76.
Credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
Anna Nicole Smith
Anna Nicole Smith died at 39 from a combination of prescription drugs on Feb. 8, 2007, in her hotel room in Hollywood Fla.
Credit: JIM RUYMEN/AFP/Getty Images
Comedian Mitch Hedberg died from a heroin overdose on March 29, 2005, in Livingston, N.J. He was 37.
Credit: Scott Gries/Getty Images
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Ol' Dirty Bastard died from a mixture of cocaine and a prescription pain killer on Nov. 13, 2004, in New York. The rapper, real name Russell Tyrone Jones, died just two days short of what would have been his 36th birthday.
Credit: Scott Gries/Getty Images
Chris Farley died in his Chicago apartment on Dec. 18, 1997. Medical examiners determined that Farley overdosed on a mixture of heroin, cocaine and morphine. The "SNL" alum was 33.
Credit: Vince Bucci/AFP/Getty Images
Bradley Nowell died from a heroin overdose on May 25, 1996, in a San Franscico motel while on tour with his band Sublime, who would go on to achieve widespread success following his death. Nowell was 28.
Credit: Steve Eichner/Getty Images
River Phoenix died on Halloween night, 1993, outside the Viper Room in West Hollywood, Calif. Toxicology tests showed high amounts of cocaine and morphine in his system. He was 23.
Credit: Sluizer Films
John Belushi was found dead in his room at the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982, in Hollywood, Calif. He was 33. The "Animal House" star died after being injected with a "speedball," a mixture of heroin and cocaine, by associate Cathy Smith, who later served jail time for the fatal overdose.
Credit: Universal Pictures
Jim Morrison died from a heroin overdose on July 3, 1971, in Paris. The "Doors" frontman was 27.
Credit: MK2 Diffusion
Janis Joplin died of a heroin overdose in her Los Angeles home on Oct. 4, 1970. Like many celebrities on our list, Joplin was 27 at the time of her death.
Credit: CBS News
Jimi Hendrix died on Sept. 18, 1970, in London. The rocker was 27. Hendrix is said to have choked on his own vomit after passing out from a heavy dose of barbiturates.
Credit: Sony Legacy
Judy Garland died from a barbituate overdose on June 22, 1969, in London. She was 47.
Credit: AFP/Getty Images
Lenny Bruce was found naked and dead on his bathroom floor in Hollywood Hills, Calif., on Aug. 3, 1966, with a morphine needle still in his arm.
Credit: San Francisco Police Department
Marilyn Monroe was found dead from a barbituate overdose on Aug. 5, 1962, in her Los Angeles residence.