Watch CBS News

Rowan Student Suffers Leg Burns After Cell Phone Charger Catches Fire In Pocket

GLASSBORO, N.J. (CBS) -- A Rowan University student is recovering from leg burns this morning, after his cell phone charger caught fire inside his pocket.

It happened at Rowan's Chamberlain Student Center on campus around 8 last night, when a student's cell phone caught fire in his pants pocket.

It was reportedly an external battery case that wraps around the phone and charges it. The fire department responded.

The student was taken to Kennedy Hospital for treatment of a minor leg burn.

It's not immediately known what kind of phone or charger was involved.

It's not the first time a Rowan student has had a phone fire. In October, a student at Rowan College at Burlington County had his iPhone 6 Plus burst into flames in his pocket.

He wasn't hurt.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.