Watch CBS News

Man Stabs Co-worker To Death At Philadelphia International Airport After Fight Over Light, Police Say

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Police say an employee who is contracted out by Frontier Airlines was stabbed to death by a co-worker at Philadelphia International Airport on Thursday morning after a fight over a light.

Sources: Arson Suspected After Amazon Treasure Truck Bursts Into Flames In West Philadelphia Parking Lot

Police say a fight in a maintenance break room on the tarmac between three Worldwide Flight Services employees, who are contracted by Frontier Airlines to clean planes, over an overhead light led to the fatal stabbing.

Philadelphia Police Lt. John Walker says one man turned off a light and the other wanted it on. A friend jumped in and three men became physical.

"The weather's up, people's nerves may be a little high and they're out there and they are cleaning planes and it's hot," said Walker.

airport stabbing
An employee was stabbed inside a Philadelphia International Airport terminal on Thursday morning. (credit: CBS3)

Police say a 35-year-old man stabbed his 28-year-old co-worker in the upper left thigh, most likely with a box cutter. They are still searching for the weapon.

The victim was transported to Presbyterian Hospital where he died.

Camille Cosby, Wife Of Bill Cosby, Asks For A Criminal Investigation Of Montgomery County DA Steele And 'His Cohorts'

Authorities say the 35-year-old suspect ran away following the stabbing, but airport police were able to catch him and he is now in custody.

Frontier says they have been in contact with Worldwide Flight Services following the incident.

"The Frontier Airlines family is saddened to learn about this event and our hearts go out to those touched by the tragedy. We have reached out to WFS to assist them in any way possible as they deal with this incident," the airline said in a statement.

Police say no passengers were in danger at the time of the stabbing and flights did not stop.

"There was no disruption to airport flights at all. Everything went as to the protocols of the police department and the Aviation Division. Police the Aviation Division, TSA, everybody worked together," said Walker.

Officials are reviewing procedures for maintenance workers following the stabbing.

The names of the victim and suspect have not yet been released.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.