Nutter Condemns Violent Flash Mob, Promises Response
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - The latest 'mob' cut right through the heart of Center City and now the Mayor is promising changes on how the city handles the problem.
The sudden, random violence of these mobs we've seen in the city and Upper Darby make them hard to predict and even harder to prevent.
In all, 59 people were beaten and briefly hospitalized.
"I'm anxious to see what the Mayor's plan is and see where he takes it from there. Hopefully they can stop them from having this happen again, because it is not something you want to come across," said Center City resident Alex Grace.
Police say the group, numbering between 20 and 40, rampaged through Center City around 9 pm.
Four people were arrested, including an 11-year-old boy.
Mayor Michael Nutter's plan is a new coordinated response involving police, businesses and the District Attorney.
"We have to consider sometimes prosecuting parents for the behavior of their children," said Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams.
Four people were arrested in connection to Friday's "flash mob." An 11-year-old boy, along with a group of teenagers ranging from 16 to 19 year old were arrested.
Mayor Nutter released a statement Monday saying "We do not tolerate violence by any individuals in our city, and we will continue to respond with the full force or our city's justice system to kids who disrespect their city."
Watch the video...
"I'm disgusted by this. This is just asinine, destructive behavior we can not tolerate," Williams said.
So far, fortunately no one has been killed.
The details surrounding the Mayor's plan are still being worked out. Something concrete should emerge next week.
Reported by Mike Dunn, KYW Newsradio; Todd Quinones, CBS 3
for more features.