Watch CBS News

14-Year-Old Boy Turns Himself In To Police In Connection With Center City SEPTA Subway Platform Shooting: Police

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- The hunt for the suspect wanted for shooting a 19-year-old man multiple times on a busy SEPTA subway platform in Center City is over. Philadelphia police say a 14-year-old boy turned himself in on Friday morning.

Despite the arrest, passengers at 15th Street Station are still concerned for their safety.

"I don't know how a 14-year-old gets a gun, but yeah, that's insane," SEPTA passenger Steve Hazel said.

The shooting happened at the Market-Frankford Line's 15th Street Station, a place where thousands of people travel throughout the city, just before 12:30 p.m. Thursday.

"I think it's really tragic that that's what altercations have escalated to, that people can't even use their words," SEPTA rider Jamoni Harris said.

The entire incident was caught on surveillance video.

Police say two juveniles exited the train and the victim was on the platform. They exchanged words and the 14-year-old boy pulled out a gun and fired it, striking the 19-year-old victim in the stomach, chest and right hand and then ran away.

The victim was taken to an area hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Officials say parents played a key role in resolving the case.

"Both the witness and the suspect, both their parents came in here and were very cooperative. And they're the reason why this case is solved so quickly," Chief Insp. Frank Vanore said. "So that's what we need, but they gotta get up before this happens because these individuals have guns in their home. We need to remove those guns from them. It's very violent."

Police say the shooter was traveling with a 15-year-old companion who was taken into custody for questioning but is not being charged at this time.

CBS3 asked riders if they were feeling relieved knowing the shooter is now in custody.

"No, not at all," Hazel said. "With all the guns, I feel like there's just gonna be another one."

Andrew Kaiser, another SEPTA rider, says he still doesn't feel safe.

"Frankly, I don't feel safer. I just saw an elderly man get kicked, kicked on the ground and assaulted on the 8th Street platform a few weeks ago by teenagers," Kaiser said.

Police are working to recover the weapon.

No information is available regarding charges at this time.

The shooting was one of several violent attacks on SEPTA in recent months and there are growing calls for SEPTA to increase its police presence.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.