(CBS/AP) KENNEBUNK, Maine - A long-time high school hockey coach, whose name appeared on a list of men who allegedly paid Alexis Wright for sex, has stepped down. His is the first known job loss associated with he ongoing Zumba prostitution scandal.
Kennebunk High School coach Donald Hill told school officials he wouldn't seek to renew his contract for next season after 14 years as head coach, said Superintendent Andrew Dolloff said Wednesday. The 52-year-old coach cited personal reasons.
On Tuesday, police released the names, ages and addresses of 21 men who allegedly paid the Zumba fitness instructor for sex. More names will be released in the coming weeks. A lawyer who's seen the list said more than 150 people are suspected of being johns.
Hill was listed alongside a former mayor and several businessmen in southern Maine, as well as Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Wright, 29, was charged this month with engaging in prostitution in her dance studio and in an office across the street. Police said Wright videotaped many encounters without her clients' knowledge and kept meticulous records suggesting the sex acts generated $150,000 over 18 months.
Wright has pleaded not guilty to 106 counts of prostitution, invasion of privacy and other charges. Her business partner, 57-year-old insurance agent and private investigator Mark Strong Sr., has pleaded not guilty to 59 misdemeanor charges.
Dolloff previously issued a memo to teachers and staff last week, instructing them to be on the lookout for students who have relatives on the list of names and may be teased or have trouble coping.
Police plan to release the remaining names of john suspects every other week as they're issued summonses. The next batch is due Oct. 26.
It will take months for all the summonses to be issued and for all the john suspects to have court appearances, according to police Lt. Anthony Bean Burpee.