Watch CBSN Live

Victim Of Road Rage Dies

Two Virgina teen-age girls are in custody Friday, charged with killing a 25-year-old mother of two after she asked them to move their car from the middle of the road so that she could drive to church.

Correspondent Mark Lodato of CBS affiliate WUSA-TV in Washington, D.C., reports that the victim, who was attacked by the two teens during a traffic dispute, died of her injuries Thursday afternoon. The teens allegedly smashed her head against the ground repeatedly in front of her mother and two young children.

The attack occurred while Natalie Davis, her children and four other relatives were driving to a church service, police said.

Davis died Thursday at 5:24 p.m. at Inova Fairfax Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

"It was heinous and senseless crime," said Prince William County Commonwealth's Attorney Paul Ebert.

Relatives said Davis had recently moved to Virginia to escape the violence of the city.

Family spokesman Jullian Grant said the famly is adjusting to the tragic loss. "She wasn't going out to shoplift or to the grocery store," Grant said. "She was going out to church and she never made it."

The trouble began Tuesday night when Davis and her family encountered a car blocking the road, with about five girls gathered around it talking.

Davis reportedly asked the teens to move the car, but the driver of the car managed to get around it. Two teens then jumped into another car and followed the family, police Sgt. Kim Chinn said.

After a short distance, Davis and one of the pursuers, a 16-year-old girl, got out of their cars and exchanged words before the teen-ager grabbed Davis by her hair and pounded her head into the pavement, Chinn said.

Teresa Hattie Dixon
Teresa Hattie Dixon, 18, joined in the attack, stomping on Davis' head and kicking her in the face, police said. One of Davis' relatives flagged down a police officer, who arrested the attackers.

Dixon is set for a preliminary hearing Aug. 10 on a charge of aggravated malicious wounding. The identity and other information about the 16-year-old from Woodbridge was withheld because of her age. Ebert said he would seek to try the juvenile as an adult.

Both suspects were held without bond.