Not only has she just received Best Actress awards from The New York and National Society of Film Critics, but Lane has also gotten a Golden Globe nomination.
She visited The Early Show to discuss the movie and the recent awards for her portrayal of Connie Sumner. "Unfaithful" tells the story of Edward (Richard Gere) and Connie Sumner, a happily married couple living in the New York surburbs with their 8-year-old son, a dog and a housekeeper. One day, Connie has a collision with a stranger on a New York City street to whom she is immediately attracted. Soon, the two have an affair which leads to a deadly end.
When Edward learns his wife has lied to him, he investigates her infidelity. Tormented by the knowledge, he confronts her lover.
"Unfaithful" was the second pairing of Gere and Lane who had co-starred once before in Francis Ford Coppola's "The Cotton Club."
Lane's next project will be "Under The Tuscan Sun." She says she wanted to take a risk and do a light comedy.
Some Facts About Diane Lane
- Born on Jan. 22, 1965, in New York City
- She is the daughter of drama coach Burt Lane and singer Colleen Farrington
- Lane became a professional actress at the age of 6
- After performing in Joseph Papp's productions of "The Cherry Orchard," and "Agamemnon" at Lincoln Center in 1976-77, Lane starred at The Public Theater in "Runaways"
- In 1978, Lane made her film debut opposite Sir Laurence Olivier in George Roy Hill's "A Little Romance" and subsequently appeared on the August 1979 cover of Time Magazine
- In 1999, she received critical acclaim, as well as a Spirit Award nomination for Best Actress, in the drama "A Walk on the Moon" starring Anna Paquin, Liev Schrieber and Viggo Mortensen, and featured actor Tony Goldwyn's directorial debut.
- Lane co-starred with Mark Whalberg and George Clooney in the box office hit "The Perfect Storm" for director Wolfgang Petersen in 2000
- In 2001, Lane starred in Brian Robbins' "Hardball" opposite Keanu Reeves
- On television, she was last seen starring opposite Bill Pullman in TNT's "The Virginian"
- She also acted opposite Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange in "A Streetcar Named Desire" for CBS television in 1995
- She garnered an Emmy nomination as Outstanding Lead Actress for her role in "Lonesome Dove" in 1989