Watch CBS News

Tyson Blows His Top At Hearing


Mike Tyson lost his temper and cursed during a hearing Wednesday before New Jersey boxing regulators aimed at returning him to the ring after being banned for a year.

Tyson choked back tears during his testimony before the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, then turned angry under repeated questioning as to why he bit Evander Holyfield's ear.

Tyson then was supposed to read a closing statement, but he refused.

"I don't want to say it now, 'cause I'm angry," he said.

When his lawyer, Anthony Fusco Jr., tried to calm him, Tyson then used an expletive.

"You know what I mean, man? Why do I got to go through this (inaudible) (expletive) all the time?"

"Relax, relax," Fusco said, putting his hand on Tyson shoulder.

Tyson was choked up as he spoke of biting Evander Holyfield on both ears in their June 28, 1997 title bout, but as his testimony neared an end, he grew frustrated with the questioning by assistant attorney general Michael Haas.

After Tyson's outburst, Fusco apologized to regulators, saying it showed Tyson's "frustration" with his absence from boxing.

"You're seeing a guy ripped apart," said Fusco.

At a news conference later, Tyson denied losing his temper.

"I never lost my cool," he told reporters. "I was just expressing my hurt."

During his testimony, a repentant Tyson told the board he "just snapped" when he bit Holyfield in their title fight last year.

Tyson told the panel he was foggy from repeated head butts by Holyfield in the third round of their June 28, 1997 fight in Las Vegas.

"I just snapped. Nothing mattered anymore at that particular point," Tyson said, pausing to gather himself as his voice broke. "I'm sorry for what I did. I wish it never happened. It will haunt me for the rest of my life."

He told Haas that he doubts he is capable of doing it again. He said his personal life has been devastated by the incident.

Nevada revoked his license after the fight. The 32-year-old Tyson has not fought since.

Two boxers testifying on Tyson's behalf said that in the heat of battle almost anything can happen in the ring, and that the fighter is not always conscious of his actions.

Former heavyweight contender Chuck Wepner said even Muhammad Ali was known to lose his cool in the ring.

"It's something that happens to you in the ring and it's hard to explain," Wepner told the panel.

No mention was made of the Holyfield fight until 45 minutes into the hearing when Haas brought it up, questioning Wepner.

Former light heavyweight champion Bobby Czyz echoed Wepner's comments, saying Tyson snapped in the ring, but that it shouldn't prevent him from returning to it.

"A piece of the street came out in him." said Czyz.

He also said that if he was fighting an opponent and knocked the guy's eye out, he would eat it before the guy had a chance to get it back.

"That's the kind of mentalit you have to have," Czyz said.

Testifying via videotape was 93-year-old Camille Ewald, former companion of Tyson's longtime mentor Cus D'Amato. She said Tyson continues to support her financially and calls her his "white mother."

Holding hands with his wife, Tyson was cheered as he arrived for the hearing. But there were also scattered boos and a half-dozen protesters from the New Jersey chapter of the National Organization for Women demonstrated outside.

The three-member panel will have 45 days to decide whether Tyson has "good character, honesty, integrity and responsibility," as required by state boxing law. No immediate decision was expected, according to spokesman Roger Shatzkin.

Questions have been raised whether New Jersey should be the state to grant Tyson a license. Some said Tyson should return to Nevada for his regulatory repentance.

Fighting for Holyfield's WBA title, Tyson bit his right ear. After a four-minute delay, the fight resumed and he bit him on the left ear, prompting referee Mills Lane to disqualify him.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission swiftly revoked Tyson's license and fined him $3 million, leaving him eligible to apply for reinstatement after one year. He has not done so.

Fusco said Tyson applied in New Jersey because he likes fighting in Atlantic City, adding he may later seek a license in Nevada.

But there also was the fear by Tyson's handlers that Nevada regulators would make him wait longer to get his license, and a further layoff would diminish his skills. Tyson adviser Shelly Finkel told the Las Vegas Sun last week that he did not think Nevada would have re-licensed the fighter.

© 1998 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue