Live

Watch CBSN Live

Sandy Hook Elementary School evacuated after threat

MONROE, Conn. - A threat has led to the evacuation of the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

CBS affiliate WFSB in Hartford reports a bomb threat was called into the school located on Fan Hill Road just after 9:30 a.m.

Nancy Bartosik of the superintendent's office in the town of Monroe says the students are being moved Wednesday to a nearby school where they can be picked up by their parents.

The building and surrounding area have been searched and no evidence of a threat was located by authorities.

Connecticut state police sent their bomb squad to assist in the investigation, reports CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton.

Besides an automated phone call, a message was also sent to parents informing them about the threat and telling them that they will be kept up-to-date on any developments.

Police said the investigation into the threat is ongoing.

A gunman killed 20 first-grade students and six educators at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on December 2012. The students resumed classes in a school in the neighboring town of Monroe, also called Sandy Hook Elementary School. The original school building was torn down last year.

View CBS News In