A cocktail waitress who sued Dennis Rodman for assault this month has filed a criminal complaint against the NBA star.
The action, confirmed Wednesday by authorities and the woman's lawyer, comes two days after Rodman filed papers to end his marriage to actress Carmen Electra. They wed in Las Vegas on Nov. 14, and Rodman now wants an annulment, citing fraud and unsound mind.
Susan Patterson says Rodman jammed a $100 bill down her blouse and grabbed her breast while she was working at the Fenix in the Argyle Hotel in West Hollywood.
The criminal complaint was filed Tuesday at the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department's West Hollywood station, Deputy Terry Holden and lawyer Gloria Allred said.
Like the lawsuit she filed Nov. 10, the criminal complaint cites assault, battery, negligence, false imprisonment and emotional distress in a confrontation with Rodman on Oct. 3. Detectives will decide whether to ask the district attorney if charges should be filed.
"I have all the confidence in the police to make an intelligent decision," Rodman's agent, Dwight Manley, said today.
| Dennis Rodman and Electra had been dating since the spring. (AP) |
Rodman "didn't have all his faculties about him" at the time of the wedding, Phillips said.
Electra's publicist denied that her client took advantage of Rodman, as his agent claimed two days after the wedding.
But spokeswoman Cindy Guagenti did acknowledge the marriage unraveled about as suddnly as it took place.
"Carmen and Dennis spoke several days ago and mutually agreed (to end the marriage)," Guagenti said.
Manley said his client is moving forward.
"He's in a very good mood," Manley said Tuesday from his office in Newport Beach. "Everything speaks for itself, the facts speak for themselves. It is what it is."
Manley said previously the 26-year-old actress who once starred on "Baywatch" exploited his client.
"Obviously, anyone that would marry somebody that was intoxicated to the point that they couldn't speak or stand had ulterior motives of some sort," Manley had said.
The 37-year-old rebounding champion, sidelined by the NBA labor dispute, is ready to play ball again, a development that would surely please his agent.
"I can't wait for the lockout to be over with so everybody can focus on basketball and not be doing these other things," Manley said.
© 1998 SportsLine USA, Inc. All rights reserved