COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - After dozens of interviews with family of the man accused of killing three and wounding nine in an attack on a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado, investigators are still searching for answers, a source tells CBS News.
FBI agents have questioned family members of Robert Lewis Dear in multiple states - he was a North Carolina resident -- finding that Dear was not close to and estranged from most of them, the source said. So far, no substantive information has come from these interviews that would clearly shed light on his motive.
The only publicly available clue to his motivation so far is that officers claim the 57-year-old Dear said "no more baby parts," while being led away from the scene after his arrest.
Other than that, family members and acquaintances have previously described him as "weird" and "unpredictable."
Sources also tell CBS News Dear was heavily armed when he arrived at the clinic on Friday. A law enforcement source says the 57-year-old brought all the guns he had to the scene.
Sources say Dear was carrying duffle bags full of rifles and hand guns. The cache of weapons included "AK"-style rifles. Investigators are in the process of tracing the guns to see if they were all purchased legally.
CBS News' David Begnaud reports the shooting started shortly after a security guard at the Colorado Springs clinic finished his shift.
The gunman's actions were calm and deliberate, witnesses said.
Ozy Licano, 61, of Manzanola, Colorado, said Dear raised his gun to shoot him but missed.
"When I stared at him, I saw this stone-cold emptiness, and I look right at him, and then, you know, he shot," Licano said.
Dear is set to make his first court appearance Monday.
Dear is scheduled to appear at 1:30 p.m. local time Monday before a judge in a video hearing. He'll be advised of the charges that could be filed against him.
Dear is accused of killing a police officer and two civilians - an Iraq war veteran and a mother of two - who were accompanying separate friends to the clinic. The rampage touched off an hours-long standoff and shootout Friday that also left nine other people in the hospital.
A judge has sealed court documents from his case. Acting at the request of prosecutors, Judge Stephen J. Sletta issued the order sealing the arrest warrant for Dear and the search warrant for his home.
The order was made available Monday after being issued Friday, the day of the attack. Such documents detail evidence gathered by investigators that justify arresting suspects and searching property.
Prosecutors said making them public would jeopardize the ongoing investigation. The judge agreed to keep the records sealed until the termination of the case or a further order of the court.