Raymond Roth, NY man who faked his own death, arrested for impersonating cop

FILE - This Aug. 15, 2012 photo shows Raymond Roth, center, as he is escorted by law enforcement officers to the Long Island State Park Police Headquarters, in Babylon, N.Y. Roth, 48, of Massapequa, N.Y., who faked his drowning off a beach on New York's Long Island, touching off an extensive and expensive air and sea search, has accepted a plea bargain that includes a 90-day jail sentence and a $37,000 bill, Thursday March 22, 2013. He pleaded guilty to fourth-degree conspiracy. (AP Photo/Kathy Kmonicek, File)
Kathy Kmonicek

(CBS/AP) FREEPORT, N.Y. - Police said a New York man who faked his drowning death off a Long Island beach was arrested again Wednesday for allegedly impersonating a police officer and ordering a women to get into his van.

Raymond Roth, 48, was arrested on charges of criminal impersonation, attempted kidnapping and attempted burglary. He's due to be arraigned Thursday in First District Court in Hempstead. His lawyer said Roth will plead not guilty to the new charges.

Police said Roth identified himself as an officer on March 21 and demanded a woman to get into his van in Freeport. The woman refused and ran into a check-cashing facility for safety. Roth followed her into the facility but fled before police arrived, authorities said.

Hours before the incident, Roth accepted a plea bargain in the fake-drowning case that included a 90-day jail sentence. He pleaded guilty to fourth-degree conspiracy.

He and his son, 22-year-old Jonathan Roth, plotted to collect about $400,000 in life insurance, prosecutors said.

On July 28, 2012, Jonathan Roth told authorities his father went for a swim at Jones Beach and never came back. Responders searched for Raymond Roth for several days, while he drove to his timeshare in Orlando, Fla., prosecutors said.

Roth's wife found emails between Raymond and her stepson, Jonathan, discussing the plot, and authorities were alerted.

On Aug. 2, 2012, Raymond Roth was issued a speeding ticket in Santee, S.C. and told police he was returning to New York to meet with authorities. He did not show up for that meeting. He was arrested Aug. 6, 2012.

Davis said Roth was admitted to a hospital for psychiatric treatment and tried to commit suicide there.

The case against Jonathan Roth is pending.

Complete coverage of Raymond Roth on Crimesider