(CBS/AP) Randy Moss says he wants to return to the gridiron. But which football league will it be: National or Indoor?
At least one NFL team - his former employer, the Minnesota Vikings - has already said it has no interest in the 35-uear-old wide receiver. Despite a lack of high-caliber receiving threats, Vikings GM Rick Spielman confirmed Thursday the Vikings "will be moving on" without Moss.
"It would be a coup for us to get Randy," Slaughter coach and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Steve McMichael told ESPN on Thursday.
Of course, the IFL has already lured another famous 30-something wide receiver:last month. IFL players only make about $300 per game but Owens also has an ownership stake in the team. (It remains unclear if the Slaughter has offered Moss any similar incentives.)
Interestingly, Moss and Owens are tied for second on the career TD receptions list with 153 - well behind Jerry Rice's 197.
The 38-year-old Owens didn't get any NFL offers to play last season after surgery on his left knee. Most football insiders believe that Moss will draw some NFL interest but earlier this week Moss' former teammate Cris Carter cautioned teams against signing the talented receiver because he "has that thing called quit."
That comment provoked a bitter response from Moss and renewed questions about the receiver's controversial past. While with the Vikings, Moss bumped a traffic cop in downtown Minneapolis, squirted a referee with a water bottle during a game, left the field early in a game against Washington and berated a caterer at team headquarters.
Trouble off the field in high school prevented Moss from attending Notre Dame or Florida State. He landed with Coach Bob Pruett at Marshall, where he scored 54 touchdowns in two seasons.
"Randy's a team guy," Pruett said.
Could that team be the Chicago Slaughter?