Society portraits, landscapes and watercolors and a host of murals that John Singer Sargent painted around Boston comprise the artist's comprehensive portfolio, chronicling not only the gilded age of late 19th century affluence and refinement but the fear and disillusionment of World War I.
Exhibits of John Singer Sargent in Boston:
- "John Singer Sargent" at the Museum of Fine Arts,
465 Huntington Ave., Boston,
June 27-Sept. 26, 1999.
- "Sargent: The Late Landscapes" at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, 2 Palace Rd., Boston,
May 21-Sept. 26, 1999.
- "Sargent in the Studio: Drawings, Sketchbooks and Oil Sketches" at the Fogg Museum, 32 Quincy St., Cambridge, on the Harvard University campus, June 10-Sept. 5, 1999.
Murals on display at:
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
- Boston Public Library, Boston.
- Widener Library, Harvard University, Cambridge.