After nine seasons with the San Diego Chargers, LaDainian "L.T." Tomlinson was released by the team in 2010, and subsequently picked up by the New York Jets as a free agent. Though the five-time NFL Pro Bowler is beginning his second season on the opposite coast, he has only just gotten around to placing his palatial San Diego home on the market.
Technically located within the city of Poway, Tomlinsin paid $3.5 million for the 13-acre estate back in 2004. If all goes to plan, the player stands to make a tidy profit from the purchase, with a current asking price of $5,210,000.
And just what do you get for your $5 million? All the features you might expect from the domicile of a well-paid football legend!
- A full-size basketball court
- Tennis court
- A resort-style swimming pool
- Private theater (pictured below, with a classic car as a throw-in)
- Outdoor cabana with BBQ area
- Detached guest quarters
Current Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers was quoted at the time of Tomlinsin's release as saying, "What L.T. has meant to this town and to this team, in nine years, the impact he's had both on and off the field, we may never see that again. You're not just going to replace L.T. himself. He was more than a running back."
While die-hard Chargers fans who have yet to recover from the loss of their favorite marquee player can still watch Tomlinsin in action with the Jets all season, perhaps living in the home where he once hung his cleats is better still.
Do you want to run into the real estate end zone by purchasing L.T.'s mansion?
More on MoneyWatch:
- Walt Disney's House for Sale
- R. Kelly Faces Foreclosure
- Jerry Seinfeld's Colorado Estate on the Market
- Katharine Hepburn's Beloved Summer Home for Sale
- How Accurate is the S&P Case/Shiller Home Price Index?
- Realtor Data Undergoes Reporting Change
- Top 4 School District Home Prices
- Top 10 Cities for Single Men
- Where Will William and Kate Live?
- Top 5 States for Depreciating Home Values
- Home Sales, Home Values Decline
- Nuclear Meltdown: Will Your Homeowners Insurance Protect You From Radiation Damage?
- New Home Sales Fall To Lowest Level on Record
- Top 5 States for Underwater Mortgages
- Loan Modification Help for Military Servicemembers
- Want a Mortgage? Is Your FICO Credit Score 780?
- HUD 2012 Budget Highlights: You're Screwed
Ilyce R. Glink is the author of several books, including 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask and Buy, Close, Move In!. She blogs about money and real estate at ThinkGlink.com and The Equifax Personal Finance Blog, and is Chief Content Strategist at RealtyJoin.com, a community for real estate investors.