Watch CBSN Live

New Details On Child Abduction

Prosecutors said a man who abducted a 9-year-old last week sexually attacked the girl in her house before taking her to his home and repeatedly assaulting her again.

Deputy District Attorney Matt Braker said the girl was eventually able to persuade her abductor not to kill her and to let her go.

Investigators praised the girl for convincing her kidnapper she had asthma and could die without medication. She also memorized his cell phone number, which helped authorities make a quick arrest, the girl's mother said.

"I taught my daughter to be very observant and strong," the mother said Wednesday outside her home. "She knows how to fight."

As new details of the girl's two-day captivity emerged, prosecutors pressed their case against the man accused of abducting her, Enrique Sosa Alvarez.

Police say he used several aliases, including David Montiel Cruz, the name first reported after his arrest. He was arraigned Wednesday under the name Alvarez.

Alvarez is charged with nine felony counts including rape, sexual assault, assault and burglary — charges that could send him to prison for up to 115 years.

He appeared in court in handcuffs and chains with his right arm wrapped in gauze. The suspect was attacked by a police dog during his arrest. His next court appearance was set for July 1.

Alvarez's attorney, Carl Beatty, said he will offer more evidence and his client may enter a plea at the July 1 hearing. Beatty declined to discuss specifics.

"We do a full and fair investigation and realize our system works best when we don't rush to judgment," said Beatty, who was appointed to represent Alvarez only hours before the hearing.

CBS News Early Show Co-Anchor Julie Chen reports that a number of false reports about the kidnapping have emerged. One report quoting a family member said the girl was held inside a box for two days. Authorities said that was not true.

What is known is that Sunday night, the kidnapper drove the girl to a liquor store 30 miles away, where she called her mother's cell phone and gave police key details — including the attacker's address. Police found Alvarez hiding in the attic of the home, which belonged to his former girlfriend.

Between the girl's persuasive ability and the intense media coverage, authorities allege Alvarez became rattled Sunday night and drove the girl to the store several cities away and "basically told her to get out of the car," Braker said.

Within hours, the girl had supplied authorities with enough details to help police find him. The girl remembered many digits of her kidnapper's cell phone number and related the delivery of a pizza, which police tracked to a house near where she was taken Friday after returning home alone from school.

Police said Alvarez may have met the victim earlier when she played with his girlfriend's twin 11-year-old daughters. The girlfriend reportedly moved out with her children several days before the abduction.

Authorities were still trying to learn more about Alvarez and determine what contact he had with other children. They said Alvarez was previously convicted of auto theft, but he doesn't appear to have any sex-related crimes on his record.

The girl's mother said her daughter is "nervous and still in shock" and refuses to leave home.

"All that she says to me is 'I don't want you to ever leave me,'" the mother said.