CBSN

More fallout from Brian Williams reporting scandal

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Disgraced NBC News anchor Brian Williams has suffered another setback.

Ten days after being suspended for six months without pay as anchor and managing editor of NBC "Nightly News," Williams resigned as a member of the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation's board of directors.

Foundation president and CEO Ron Rand and co-chairs Jack Jacobs and Bruce Whitman announced William's resignation in a brief statement on the organization's website Friday. The statement said Williams had been a board member since September 2006.

Williams was suspended on Feb. 10 after admitting he'd falsely recounted a story that he was in a helicopter that was hit by ground fire in Iraq in 2003.

Stars and Stripes newspaper was the first to report that Williams' helicopter traveled about an hour behind the aircraft that actually took fire.

In a memo to staff announcing his suspension, NBC News President Deborah Turness said Williams "misrepresented events," something she called "wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian's position."

After service members and veterans pointed out the mistake, Williams -- who had told the story multiple times -- apologized on air and in writing.

"Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience ... and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area -- and the fog of memory over the years -- made me conflate the two," Williams wrote on Facebook.

"Nobody's trying to steal anyone's valor," he wrote.