Mets' Hampton To Test Market
While the Cleveland Indians mull Manny Ramirez's $200 million contract proposal, one of the biggest pitchers in this year's free agent class joined the open market.
After not receiving what he deemed an acceptable offer from the New York Mets, left-hander Mike Hampton said Saturday he would file for free agency.
"Today's decision does not necessarily close the door on Mike's relationship with the New York Mets," agent Mark Rodgers said. "The decision to file for free agency was made only after we were informed that the Mets had no current intention of improving on the offer the club made to Mike in February."
Rodgers will arrive at the GM meetings on Sunday. The Mets are still the only team that can sign Hampton, or negotiate money with him, before Nov. 11.
"I'm not surprised or disappointed," Mets general manager Steve Phillips said. "We understand each other's positions and would still like to work out a deal. It's a matter of the market determining where we should go."
Hampton, who went 15-10 with a 3.14 ERA for the Mets this season, will generate lots of interest. There is speculation he would prefer to play closer to his Florida home. Atlanta and St. Louis are believed to be two of the front-runners, along with the Mets.
"As I have said all season, I have not made any decisions about my future," Hampton said. "The same is true today. I intend to keep an open mind and consider every team that shows interest in me. That includes the New York Mets."
The futures of Ramirez, Hampton, Alex Rodriguez and Mike Mussina will be among the hottest topics the next few days as baseball's general managers convene for their annual meetings.
They also will be plotting how to topple the New York Yankees.
The Yankees became the first team since the Oakland Athletics in 1972-74 to win three straight World Series titles. But while the Oakland dynasty was done in by the advent of free agency, this Yanees run could be prolonged because of it.
Baseball's biggest spenders are thought to be the leading contenders for Ramirez who probably won't end up with the $200 million he wants from Cleveland and could make a run at Hampton or Mussina, or get into the trade market for Kansas City's Johnny Damon.
A payroll that reached a record $113 million in 2000, will be even higher next season.
That is territory that Cleveland GM John Hart can't reach. The Indians will keep talking to Ramirez's agent, Jeff Moorad, and probably make a counterproposal in the next few days.
But the most likely scenario is for Ramirez to wait to see what the Yankees will offer before negotiating seriously with the Indians.
The first priority for the Yankees is a decision on their potential free agents. The Yankees appear interested in bringing back David Cone and Paul O'Neill - the players manager Joe Torre called the "heart and soul" of the dynasty.
Cone most likely will be offered a minor league deal, and for far less than the $12 million he made last year. O'Neill will probably get a shot to keep his starting right field job perhaps to be part of an outfield with Ramirez and Bernie Williams.
"Paul certainly intends to play next season and would prefer it to be with the Yankees," agent Joe Bick said. "We expect to hear something next week."
There was one blockbuster deal at last year's meetings when Toronto traded Shawn Green to Los Angeles for Raul Mondesi instead of losing him to free agency after the 2000 season.
But most GMs expect only the groundwork to be set for future deals.
"I think it is unlikely anything major gets done down there. It will be the precursor for things to come," Phillips said.
Much of the winter's trade action depends on whether teams can re-sign players who are eligible for free agency after the 2001 season.
The Cubs want to resolve contract talks with Sammy Sosa soon so they can plan their budget for the upcoming season. If they can't reach a deal, they could decide to trade their most popular player. They also are targeting Tampa Bay third baseman Vinny Castilla, who struggld since leaving Coors Field.
Damon, Milwaukee's Jeromy Burnitz and Pittsburgh's Jason Kendall also could be available when teams gauge the free agent market.
"Usually people wait to see what gets picked up," Mariners GM Pat Gillick said. "Teams like to add without subtracting."
And a prime addition would be Rodriguez, who says Seattle is his first choice. But Atlanta, Colorado, Los Angeles and the Mets probably will offer bigger deals.
Juan Gonzalez, who turned down an eight-year contract worth more than $140 million from Detroit before the season, isn't expected to get anywhere near that on the open market.
Charles Johnson, Sandy Alomar, John Wetteland, Mark Grace, Darren Dreifort, Todd Hundley, Pat Hentgen, Andy Ashby, Denny Neagle, David Segui, Tony Gwynn and Ellis Burks also could generate interest.
©2000 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed