Man held in killing of pregnant Dallas girlfriend

A mugshot of Tyrone Christopher Allen.
CBS Dallasa/ Texas Department of Public Safety

DALLAS A Dallas man shot and killed his pregnant girlfriend Monday and later shot a police officer during a high-speed chase before surrendering following a four-hour standoff with police, authorities said.

Tyrone Christopher Allen, 26, was being held on a capital murder charge in the slaying of 28-year-old Breshuana Jackson, Police Chief David Brown said at a Monday evening news conference. Police later said Allen is also being held on a charge of aggravated assault of a police officer. Bond had not been set and it wasn't immediately clear if Allen had an attorney.

Police allege in an affidavit that Allen shot Jackson in a house in Dallas' Hamilton Park neighborhood, and that a witness told officers that she saw Allen drive off afterward and that Jackson told him "Tyrone shot me" before she was taken to a hospital, where she died.

The witness, whom police didn't identify in the affidavit, told officers that Allen was Jackson's boyfriend and was the father of the unborn child, which didn't survive.

Officers saw Allen driving about 90 minutes after they spoke to the witness and tried to pull him over, but he refused. According to police, he fired on the officers during the ensuing chase, striking Officer Daniel Malouf in the stomach.

Authorities say Allen led police to the Hamilton Park neighborhood, where his car came to an abrupt halt as he hit a curb and the bumper flew off. He fled into a house across the street and barricaded himself inside.

Per policy, police would not say whether Malouf was wearing a protective vest. But the officer was released from a hospital in good condition hours after being taken there for treatment.

A school near the home where the suspect was barricaded was locked down, but a district spokesman later said the school was never threatened and that all students were safe.

Allen is listed in the Texas sex offender list for two convictions of indecency with a child by exposure, one in 2000 and one in 2001. He was sentenced to a year in prison on both occasions.