PHILADELPHIA The Eagles have released two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Babin in the first major roster move for a team that's lost seven straight games.
Babin had just 5.5 sacks after recording 18 last year. He signed a five-year, $28 million deal last summer after going to his first Pro Bowl with Tennessee following the 2010 season.
The move came Tuesday, a day after a.
Coach Andy Reid says the Eagles cut Babin to give more playing time to younger players.
We appreciate everything that Jason has given this team over the last couple of years," Reid said in a statement. "We wish him all the best as he continues his career. By releasing him today, this gives us an opportunity to give more playing time to some of younger guys in the defensive line rotation."
Babin told ESPN on Tuesday that he was caught off guard by the move.
"Anytime your cell phone rings and it says Andy Reid, you know it's not good," he said
Philadelphia (3-8) plays at Dallas (5-6) on Sunday night.